What is Plasmapheresis (Plasma Exchange)?
Pheresis (also known as apheresis) is what doctors call the process of removing a patient’s blood, filtering it, extracting specific components, and then returning the blood to the body. Such a procedure can separate any of the 4 major components of blood, red cells, white cells, platelets, or plasma.
Why Would You Need Plasmapheresis
But if you have an autoimmune disease, antibodies can attack your healthy cells in a desperate and misguided attempt to defend you.
For example, imagine you are suffering from multiple sclerosis. Mistakenly thinking it is associated with the enemy, some of your antibodies launch an attack on the protective covering of your nerves. With the nerve covering now destroyed, your nerves suffer overwhelming sensitivity and either shut down all signals to your muscles or cause you to feel intense pain. The eventuality of this mounted attack results in impaired movement and a life of non-stop pain.
Thanks to plasmapheresis, you can isolate these confused antibodies in the plasma and replace them with a healthier substitute! This blood-purifying procedure relieves your immune system so your healthy agents can focus on repairing the damage and winning the battle against the disease.
Plasma exchange therapy can also assist in combating the effects of:
Frequently Asked Questions About Plasmapheresis
- Can plasmapheresis be used for anti-aging?Yes, plasmapheresis can be used as an anti-aging procedure. Since the accumulation of toxins, pathogenic residue, and cellular debris in the plasma can contribute to accelerated and premature aging, removing these by plasmapheresis therapy will help the body maintain its vigor.
- How many plasma exchange sessions will I need?Typically, you will need more than one session, especially if you are dealing with an autoimmune disease. Your consulting doctor will be able to give you a complete treatment plan. Remember that a single treatment does not do the job. We always recommend this therapy in conjunction with a holistic health protocol of complementary alternative medicine treatments.
- How long does plasmapheresis take?The plasmapheresis procedure typically takes about 2 hours to filter your blood. Similar to kidney dialysis.
- Is plasmapheresis painful?No, plasmapheresis is not a painful procedure since you are only filtering your blood. The only minimally painful part of this procedure would be inserting and removing the needle and catheter.
- What are the side-effects of plasma exchange?You may feel a little tired, but most people can get right back to their day-to-day activities right away. This feeling typically goes away in a couple of hours.
- Does plasmapheresis therapy work for Lyme disease?Yes. Plasmapheresis works for Lyme disease. Thanks to plasmapheresis, you can remove harmful antibodies and reboot your body to help the healthy cells in your body repair and fight Lyme disease. For select Lyme disease patients, we offer a free online consultation with one of our doctors. Send us a message!
- Can plasmapheresis therapy improve Stem Cell Therapy Results?Yes. Because by purifying your blood, plasmapheresis therapy relieves your immune system so that mesenchymal stem cells can focus on repairing and producing new healthy cells faster!
What do patients say about the alternative medicine treatments at Holistic Bio Spa?
I had a bike accident and I had been living my life with enormous pain in my hip. We made the decision ... treatment with stem cells. I didn't really know about it, but Dr. Zoli explained in such a great way. And the therapy ended with such a great, great thing, I just got back my life! I'm not living my life with constant, 24-hour pain in my hip!
Szilveszter- European Stem Cell Therapy Patient at Holistic Bio Spa
Where Do I Get Plasmapheresis Therapy?
- United States
- Central America
- Puerto Vallarta
- Marina Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta